I remember being 7-years-old and knowing I was slightly odd.
Not for the obvious reasons: That I was a totally spastic, loud or that I was in love with Matthew Broderick, but rather because I was obsessed with filling a bag with stuff so I could sit it in my room to display a package of gum.
Hear me out.There was a commercial for Bubble Yum bubble gum where a teenage girl carried a pink canvas bag full of her daily essentials. There was one camera shot of the bag where the gum was prominently displayed atop shoes, books, pencils, whatever.
I remember thinking "I love the way that looks. I could do that. I have a pink bag, and LOTS of stuff. I could buy gum and display it in my room!"
And so I did.
Like I said . . . odd.
My oddity and obsession for display design has only gotten worse as I have aged.
Whether it's designing my home decor, designing for large corporate events in my past career life, or deviating from schematics while working for Lauder, I can't get enough of it.
Because my little sister shares my unhealthy weirdness, she sent me to gawk at the new Anthropologie seasonal displays.
So on Saturday I saw this:

Light bulbs hanging from the ceilings by wires in various lengths, an ostrich made of sheets of music, and an old table with vintage framed mirrors displaying candles and slacks for women.
Are you kidding me with this crazy cool stuff?
It solidified something for me: I want to be a designer of retail space. That's the overall, grand, enormously huge goal. And it's going to take me a while to get there.
To begin my pursuit, I needed some advice from the most credible designer I know in the industry, my friend Danielle, AKA- my new career advisor.
So, I have decided to start my own business. A very small business. One where I can marry my two loves of photography and design. I've mulled over the idea for 3 years, but haven't had the guts or time to really pursue it.
Well no more.
I think it just took one more kick in the pants (thank you, Danielle) to really get serious about it.
I won't give details yet, but can say that my proverbial ducks will be in a row before the year's end.
So I guess, as they say, to be continued. . .
2 comments:
you can't leave me hanging there!!! By the way, I need your totally amazing vibes to help with some picture placement and other such fun-ness in my bedroom : )
Can I work for you?
You're amazing.
Post a Comment