Monday, April 13, 2009

H.A.L.F W.I.T.S.

I knew when I agreed to marry Thad, I was subjecting myself to an unconventional life.  A life of randomness and oddity.  A life of sporadic adventure and unpredictability. 

And I was okay with that.

However, over the last 10 years I thought his tendencies for all that hokey pokey had tamed.

Not so.

On Saturday afternoon we found ourselves with not much going on. The laundry was done, the dishes cleaned. The kids had rested and all the good cartoons had finished. 

I gave Thad the responsibility of selecting a family activity. I left for a short period of time and returned to hear his self promoted "genius" pitch: 

"What if we made cookies and delivered them to people?"

I liked it so far. Getting to know our neighbors. Great.

"And dressed like..."

Oh, no.

"A family of Superheros."

He was serious. He had already designed our coordinating outfits. He had choreographed an entrance, delivery and exit for each house we visited. He had gone so far as to giving us a super family name.

What could I do? I love this man, and he was so excited.

Besides, it kinda sounded like fun. A little humiliating, but fun nonetheless. 

Within 2 hours we pulled together costumes, purchased masks, made aluminum foil accessories and bought gifts for 3 unsuspecting neighbors.

Those poor families were greeted by Thad and given the following message attached to a package of 3 small Superhero water guns:
 
Courtesy of your friendly neighborhood 
H.A.L.F  W.I.T.S. (Heroic Anonymous Loving Family With Infinite Time. Seriously.)

I will say our delivery and intimidation/professionalism was above par. However, our speedy exit was somewhat limited given the obstacle of getting two children in car seats.

Aside from the obvious embarrassment about the whole production, and frightening a 5 year old girl to the point she wouldn't even answer the door, I would say our afternoon was a success.

Even if it was random.

H.A.L.F. W.I.T.S. away!

(Oh, incriminating photos are forthcoming. Keep checking back.)

7 comments:

jake 'n amie said...

Yes... I cannot wait for the pictures. You guys are crazy... crazy good!

Jessica Adams said...

I swear I never knew it was you guys at my door. You totally just gave yourselves away.

Katie said...

coolest family activity ever!!!

Jane said...

I can't wait for the pictures. I love that your family does things like that, you ARE the coolest family ever. Who wouldn't love fora family of superheros to arrive at their door?

Ms. Karlyn said...

I've been reading your blog for awhile now and have never commented. BUT...I have to on this post.

This is awesome! And it doesn't surprise me a bit. And, you are awesome! I don't know of many wives that would willing do this. You two are perfect for each other.

Leah said...

Thad has always had some weird facination/desire to be a superhero. Remember Captain Bountiful anyone?

It's wonderful that he found someone who's willing to run around with him in capes. AND he is really lucky that his kids are as adventurous and willing as his wife. Of course we all know that Ike is already a superhero.

Danielle said...

WE have no cookies.


I'm insulted.