Thad and I decided to BBQ for Memorial Day. I know- not too original, but oh well.Well, I should say the BBQ was Thad's idea. I suggested going to Carl's Jr. to get hamburgers and let the kiddies run themselves to the point of exhaustion while I sat and sipped an Oreo shake.
But to no avail-- Thad's idea won out. I decided not to fight it.
So we uncovered the BBQ, cleaned off over 2 years of dust and who knows what else, and headed to the supermarket for the fixins for a Weiland Family Memorial Day feast.
After loading the car with groceries we were off to find propane to refill our tank. Just propane mind you- not a new tank with propane.
Now you have to know something about my sweet and good husband. If he can find something cheaper across town he will make an extra trip just to save a few. Normally I admire this trait. It has served us well in the past. However after about an hour and fifteen minutes of searching for a supplier of said propane, my growling stomach was becoming less and less appreciative of his frugality.
Apparently you can't find just propane anymore (except those of you who live in Davis County who can get it at Slim Olson's- lucky you). Instead you need to exchange your tank for a newly painted full tank. It is more expensive to do it this way. Instead of *$7.00 for a refill it can range from $18.00-25.00 for an exchanged tank.
After resigning ourselves to the fact that we would have to spend the extra money on a new tank, we headed to Wal-Mart. By this time it was 8:00 and we had 2 children teetering on the edge of starvation and horrible orneriness.
Thad was told an associate would meet him outside for the exchange. He waited for 5 minutes which turned into 7 and then 10. All the while Tabby danced around the flowers in the garden center while Ike and I played "how many times can I throw this teddy bear down before Mom gets tired of retrieving it for me"** in the car.No Wal-Mart associate came.
Around 8:45 we headed home with no propane, 5 warm steaks, 4 growling stomachs, and one bag of Carl's Jr. hamburgers.
And an Oreo shake.
By then I was too tired to say "I told you so."
* Resources from Thad Weiland's memory of 2 years back.
**Not available in stores.
2 comments:
Just think, with all that driving, you could have used the alternative methods to barbecue, i.e. hanging the steaks from the exhaust pipe, so they would cook while you drive, or sitting them on the warm engine. (I'm not kidding when I say there is a book on Amazon.com that tells you how to cook on your engine.)
What a memorial day!
Heidi
Melvin wanted to BBQ on Memorial Day as well. Years back, we had a charcoal grill. When we bought the new house, one present I got for him was a natural gas grill that hooks up to the house line. I used to hate never knowing if we needed some charcoal (or propane in your case) for grilling. Now we can just go outside and heat it up anytime we want. Yummy!!!!
Post a Comment