Tabby has always loved to talk. From the time she was tiny she quickly learned sign language and would entertain us with signs for bird, milk, candy -whatever. I loved watching her chubby hands madly bang together when telling me she needed more, more, more.
She is my little communicator, and I can't take credit for any of it. She just came that way.
Well, today her speech progression made me sad.
When Tabs learned to say words that ended in "le" she wouldn't honor the silent "e" rule, but would instead emphasize it.
When Tabs learned to say words that ended in "le" she wouldn't honor the silent "e" rule, but would instead emphasize it.
Example- Smile. Tabby: Smi-la.
Example- While Tabby: Why-la
Over time those words slowly started phasing into the correct pronunciation.
All except for my favorite--- Ariel, her favorite princess (for now)."I love Air-ya-la. I want red hair like Air-ya-la. Can I make my hair red like Air-ya-la?"
I loved it.
But as of today, there is no more Air-ya-la. It has been phased out as so many words before, but somehow is so much harder for me to see go.
"Mom, I really want to watch Ariel (pronounced Air-ee-el)."
I immediately stopped what I was doing. I had to have her repeat it just to make sure it wasn't a slip up.
Sure enough, Air-ya-la is no more. It is yet another phase that is over. Just more devastating proof that my baby girl is growing up.
And it makes me a little sad.
Picture above- Tabby with the flowers Thad sent us on May 1st in celebration of May Day. He is so sweet.
No comments:
Post a Comment