Saturday, May 7, 2011

I Run For. . .

I'm about to get personal. Really personal. You know, share stuff that is difficult for me to write, and maybe slightly awkward to say, and stuff that makes me feel a little vulnerable for other people to know.

Just putting that disclaimer out there, that's all.

My mom died on November 17, 2008. She had breast cancer.

One of the hardest parts in the process was when she could no longer walk. I occasionally needed to leave the room to avoid spilling out huge amounts of tears in front of her. I didn't think she needed to see that.

In her last few weeks of hospice aid, I stayed the night to help care for her. That night I dreamed she and I were walking together. Walking. And talking. And laughing.

I woke up and cried.

Today, just over two years later, I ran for my mom.


My two sisters, sister-in-law and me after finishing the Race for the Cure 5K.



While running 3.1 miles might seem a small and insignificant task to some, I felt it a way I could give something back to my mom.

Give something like appreciation and respect, and somehow demonstrate her importance in my life.

I was happy to cross the finish line while wearing a pink ribbon bracelet she had worn at previous events. And was so proud to wear her name on my back dedicated to her memory, but in celebration of her life, her strength, and her role as my mom.





6 comments:

Jodi said...

Big hugs from me, Amy! You are such an amazing woman. I know tomorrow is probably not your favorite day. I'm so sorry.

Jessica Adams said...

It was great. I love you so much.

The Fred & Stephanie Lewis Family said...

Holy muscles Aim!!!! I LOVE you!

jamatukk said...

Loved every moment of it. So glad we did it. Your amazing Aim. Love ya Britt

Tawni Williams said...

I love this post... Your strength, and HER strength are inspirational. PS - your guns look AWESOME in that picture... just sayin..

Stefanie said...

Oh Amy, I love you girl!