Sunday, April 4, 2010

Easter 2010.

I tried something different for Easter this year. A new tradition. A new way to look at the holiday.

With no Easter Bunny.

And not just cause this guy was totally, totally creepy.


I just wanted a change this year.

Remember about a month ago when I mentioned my fabulous friend, Jane? The insanely creative one? Well, she never fails to do fun things for her kids, so this year I decided to expand on one of her great ideas.

Yesterday morning I showed Tabby and Ike the magic beans I had purchased at the market. I explained the beans would grow into something special, but only if the beans were earned by being nice, and providing service for someone who needs it.

Okay, I might have had my motives for wanting a little peace at home, but if I could teach them something in the process, great.

So Tabs helped her little cousins and cleaned her room, Ike loved on his sister and didn't tease or hit. At the end of the day they were each given 5 beans to plant.

This morning they woke up to this:





Ike ate 4 of his beans before getting them in the ground.






Through their intense excitement I hope my kids understood that rewards are better when they are earned, and service is a reward in itself.

If not, at least I got to ditch the whole plastic grass madness.

1 comment:

The Mattesons said...

I love this idea and may just have to steal it from you!