Have I ever mentioned I love where I live?
Well I do.
Cause there's lots of stuff to do. One thing Thad has become involved with is the local Iron Pig cooking competition. Thad volunteers as the Master of Ceremonies and loves it.
The build site is about 3 blocks away from our home, so Thad and I were asked to volunteer as Team Leads at the volunteer check in tent. Can you be asked to volunteer, you wonder? Doesn't that go against the very definition of "volunteer"? I've learned that yes. Yes you can.
Thad and I split a 12 hour shift everyday for just over a week.
It was inspiring to see the amount of people who would put their lives on hold to help. Some people worked shifts from 2:00am to 8:00am. Some brought in water and snacks for the volunteers. Some moved rebar from the excavation site. And they all seemed happy to do it.
When it was all said and done there were over 2,100 volunteers who helped construct the home.
People have asked me, "Do they really finish the house in a week?" The answer is no. They finish it in about 6 days if you can believe it. Start to finish. Crazy, no?
When the two kids drew with chalk on the sidewalk outside their new home, I cried. Cause I'm a baby like that.
I knew they weren't just getting a beautiful new home, they were getting a community. A community that will love them. Not because they will be on a TV show in September, but because that's what this neighborhood does.
Have I ever mentioned I love where I live?
Well I do.


2 comments:
SOOO AWESOME!! I'm so happy I got to at least be there for the 'unveiling' thanks to you two... I'm so happy you were able to participate in such an amazing thing...
This is so neat. I missed the volunteer meeting and was sad it all came and went. What an amazing opportunity, and Amy I would have cried seeing the kids drawing on the sidewalk too.
Post a Comment