Sunday, April 27, 2008

Pretend?



So I think in every child's life at some point an adult poses the question "What do you want to be when you grow up?"


Every child answers differently. Some want to be daddies, some mommies, some even have the foresight to say doctor or teacher.


My brother, Nathan, wanted to be an elephant. And if elephant was out of the question, he said he wanted to be Jesus. (So cute.)


For now Tabby's answer changes daily. Last week she wanted to be a teacher. The week before it was a "planetarium" which translated to be an astronaut.


I think she had a little prompting from her dad on that one.


But whatever the answer from day to day, the same remains true. She just wants to live in the moment.



In the picture above she was a dragon. She was no longer a 4 year old girl, but a beast chasing her brother around the house growling all the way. What cracks me up is the size of her costume. It was actually her first Halloween costume when she was only 7 months old. Nevertheless, imagination accommodates for all ill fitting dress.



Ike just goes along with the game. Alot of times Tabby gets to chose for him too. One day she chose for him to be an elephant.


He usually goes along with whatever she says and tries to duplicate all her actions, no matter how advanced. If she is playing hop-scotch, he is desperately trying to jump over the chalk lines.



I think it is hilarious, and endearing how much he wants to be like her.



On another occasion, Tabby was preparing for her ballet class. (Becoming a ballerina was her future career of choice about two months ago.) She dressed herself complete with the tu-tu and Minnie Mouse ears.



She practiced like this for what seemed like hours.








Tabby loves to pretend she is a real ballerina.




This picture was before her first official day of dance class. She would twirl and pose, twirl and pose. All the while Ike watched.







And watched...



and watched...



and watched...



and decided to do what Tabby was coaching him to do.







So whatever Tabby or Ike's answer is to "What do you want to be when you grow up" whether it's a ballerina, President of the United States or elephant I hope they enjoy the trial and error pretend professions along the way.

2 comments:

Jessica Adams said...

haha! i had never seen that picture of Ike! look at how graceful his little hand is!

Grandma said...

I so enjoy reading what you have to say about the kids and your thoughts. I check the blog almost every day. Reading about you keeps me connected. I love it!!!