Friday, April 4, 2008

My Little Princess



Hello.

This is Thad. The beloved spouse made the mistake of giving me the information required for me to be able to chime in on occasion. Now I'm taking the opportunity to hijack the blog to submit what has become known in our household as "The Cheesy Moment of the Day".

While I feel somewhat vulnerable sharing this experience, I really couldn't go without sharing it because of how much of a surprise the experience was as it snuck up on me.

Years ago, when Amy was pregnant with Tabitha, I told my Dad that thinking about Tabby's future, inevitable exchange of nuptuals got me a little emotional. In-utero, months before seeing her big brown eyes peering up to me as I sung her to sleep, or peeking through the crib slats her brother peers through now, I had a foreign emotional attachment to that little girl. I say "foreign" because, before her, I hadn't felt this way. My dad just laughed and said that's exactly how it's gone for generations.

Fast forward roughly four and a half years: Here I am, completely unassuming, sitting in a model home waiting for a prospective buyer and catching up with other's blogs. Jessica, my sister-in-law, has one of those cool music players on her blog. Along comes a song I've heard before: Stealing Cinderella. (If you want to hear it, go to her blog. I think there's a link somewhere here.)

Now I'm a mess.

Stupid song. Stupid Jessica's Blog. (Even funnier still is the fact that the song was somehow playing at twice the speed on the player. I'm getting emotional about some chipmunk singing a song about his daughter. BAH!!)

On my desktop, as the wall paper, I have the same black and white picture of Tabitha that's currently posted on this blog. And I see, in the four-year-old pictured, the same brown eyes I fell in love with years ago, when we met on St. Patrick's Day 2004.

I'm still a mess, wondering what happened to the time since talking to my dad until now. And will I feel the same thing about the time from now until that little girl will be batting those same brown eyes at some punk that will take her away from me.

Will he see in her what I see in her? Can he? Is it possible? If he doesn't, I really think I will kill him.

Looking back, I have a different appreciation for my parents-in-law now because of Tabitha. I'm pretty confident there was a time when I was the punk kid that was taking away a beautiful set of blue eyes.

And, I guess, that's how it's been for generations.

That's all, you may now go about your business.

---Following Up---

When I came home from work, those brown eyes met me in "lazy-eye" fashion. She calls it her "funny face". Honestly, how many 4-year-olds can do that? I'm in trouble with this one.


6 comments:

Jessica Adams said...

i hate your stupid blog too, Thad. Unless of course you meant that as "stupid Jessica"'s blog... in that case. I hate stupid you too Thad. ;)

Dwight and Heidi said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Dwight and Heidi said...

I like it when those dark eyes look up at you and you hear something like..."Heidi, your hair looks like Darth Vader's helmet".

Grandma said...

I loved the way you expressed yourself. I want to add as a mom, the precious way you feel is felt by mothers and fathers around the world and doesn't stop when they- the children- are grown. The dark eyes and the love only expand to future generations.

Sarah said...

Aaaaaah Thaddy baddy! That is so sweet. And I'm glad you can now hijack the blog and chime in, but beware--sweet Amy can always change the password. Hee hee.

Another great song is sung by Miley and Billy Ray Cyrus. Since my daughter wants to be Hannah Montana, of course we had to tune in when Miley (AKA Hannah) was on Oprah. They sang this song, and Billy Ray talked about when they were leaving for her first big gig in California. It's called, "Ready, Set, Don't Go." You can hear it on playlist.com or my blog.

Jessup Jive said...

I think Lance could totally relate. He gets really upset when I talk about the girls future and use the "M" word.