Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Sisters Sanity Surprise 2009

In February of this year my brother-in-law, Fred, had a fantastic idea: to surprise my sister with a fabulous vacation to the Florida Keys for her 40th birthday. Included in the surprise would be my two other sisters and me showing up on her doorstep to accompany her. Seriously, how cool is he?!

So, on December 9th we packed our bags for the island of Marathon, and knocked on her door completely unannounced.

She was elated.

We spent the next 5 days soaking in the sun in Marathon, Key West and Miami Beach.



I had no idea seafood could taste so fantastic.







While visiting the Turtle Hospital in Marathon, we saw about 50 sea turtles that had been badly wounded.

One turtle in particular tugged at my heart. He had problems swimming straight due to his unbalanced flippers. I watched him try and try again to compensate with his heavy shell. Because of the awkwardness of it all, one fin would overpower the other and he would end up swimming on his side. But he kept going. It was amazing to watch him work.




Key West had great street performers, beautiful sunsets and delicious Cuban food.





Because we wanted to have a true tropical experience, Steph suggested we go snorkeling. Now, if you will recall I have major issues with water. Nothing makes my heart pound faster than the thought of plunging into the stuff. But because this trip was about adventure, I agreed.

We were all in high spirits as we boarded the boat. Nervous, but happy. As we pulled into Sombrero Reef the waves became more apparent as the boat stopped. The realization that we were about to jump (willingly) into open water hit every one of us. And so did the nausea. It was so sudden we didn't have a chance to react.

We knew it had to be better in the waves than in the boat. I was surprised how quickly I jumped in.

Once I got in the water I panicked a little. The reality hit me. I was in WATER! OCEAN water! The only thing that got me through the first few minutes without completely breaking down was this: I had my equipment. And I had my sisters. And that was enough.

The fish were beautiful. We saw barracudas, huge schools of fish, and a shark. I was loving this experience. Maybe a little too much. I wanted to see it all. Before I knew it the hour had passed with me madly swimming all around the reef.

Do you know what you get when you mix nerves, too much exercise without enough sustenance, salt water, and a boat being rocked back and forth like a baby rattle? Yep. You get puke. Lots and lots of puke.

We each took our turn hurling off the side of the boat. Over and over again. I felt stupid at first. I don't even let Thad come in the bathroom when I'm doing the "porcelain bow" and here I was completely barfing in front of complete strangers. After the 5th or 6th time, though, I got over it and didn't care how stupid I looked clinging to the side of the boat.

Once we got back on dry land I literally kissed the dock.

The funny thing is, even after all that, I would go snorkeling again. Crazy I know.





Miami Beach was beautiful and the Penthouse was unbelievable.


I learned a lot on this trip. I learned I can overcome fear. Fear of getting older, fear of water, fear of looking completely stupid and being vulnerable to others perception of me. I found my inspiration for courage in an unlikely place: the little turtle from the hospital who didn't give up. Despite his ailment, he came out of his shell, worked through it and just kept swimming.

And that's what I intend to do. Just keep swimming. I have my equipment. I have my sisters.

I'll just keep swimming.



5 comments:

Jane said...

What a dream! I can't think of anything more fun that taking a trip like that with my sisters. I am going to start dropping hints for my brothers-in-law to do the same thing.

Sarah said...

Wow, Amy!! That sounds amazing. And you're right--just keep swimming. I happen to think you're an excellent swimmer. =)

XOX & Merry Christmas!

Dwight and Heidi said...

I love the pictures! It was such a fantastic trip. I'm so glad that I'm related to my best friends.

Heidi

Grandma said...

Beautiful !

The Fred & Stephanie Lewis Family said...

I LOVED EVERY minute!!! THANK YOU for being so good to me. I will truly remember this trip FOREVER!
LOVE, Steph