
Don't let the title fool you. You are not about to read a tale of a Hobbit's journey to a magical mountain, nor are you going to learn of a haunted video tape by which you will perish within 7 days time.
Rather you will find a story of a girl, a boy and a sentimental diamond in yellow gold.
But first, a bit of background:
Last November I realized my wedding ring was missing. This isn't a new thing. It has happened a handful of times before. However, it has never been lost for long. In the past I usually found it within minutes of realizing it's disappearance.
So in November, I was panicked to realize I hadn't seen my ring for a number of days. I worried even more as the last recollections I had of it were sitting on my nightstand- fully accessible to little hands belonging to a boy that adores shiny things.
I looked for weeks. I searched the garbage. I searched under furniture, inside the freezer, at my Dad's home, my car, Thad's car, inside toy bins, all around the parameter of the washing machine, toilet and anywhere else I thought small hands might ditch such a prized treasure.
Nothing.
About 3 weeks ago I had a melt down. The reality of never finding my wedding ring set me into an emotional upheaval. I think I spent the better part of the day sobbing and being altogether unconsolable.
It made me think of all my memories associated with that ring: A nervous boy getting down on one knee (on two separate occasions actually, but that's a story for another day) hoping I would say "yes", the symbolism of my new life as a young bride, the fact that I gave birth to my two beautiful children while wearing it, but most importantly, it symbolized my belief that I will get to be with that nervous boy and the two beautiful children forever.
Shortly after my emotional frenzy, I accepted it was gone.
The next week my sisters came over for lunch. We were sitting in my family room when I noticed Tabby pulling the back panel off my leather recliner. (When the seat is reclined the panel is given a little slack allowing you to see into the inside of the chair.) I told Tabs to leave it be.
For once I'm glad she didn't listen.
Within minutes, Tabby approached me with a "surprise". My ring.
She had found it shoved to the bottom of the chair; a place I had never even thought to look or could have accessed with my adult hands. She also retrieved 3 Lightning McQueen cars, 2 other matchbox cars, a cookie, a few animal crackers and 2 coins. IKE!
Needless to say, if ever anything goes missing again, I will enlist the help of Sherlock Tabs and now know the first place to start our search.
9 comments:
Thank goodness it was found! The thought of never seeing it again makes you feel sick.
Yay! What a great story--I love all the other stuff that was there with the ring, now you know a new hiding spot. =)
yea Im so glad that you found it. I was so sad for you :)
YEA! I'm so happy you found it!!!
Yay! I am so glad you found it! I love that Ike likes a variety of treasures:)
I hate that feeling of resignation that something terrible has happened, and you will just have to accept that emptiness every time you are reminded of the loss. However, there is nothing as relieving as realizing that you no longer have to feel that pit again. I am so glad that your ring was found! Much Love! :)
(I also like that I got to leave a comment as Gandalf on a post called "The Ring". Hee Hee)
It made me laugh that Tabby was more excited about finding her missing penny than finding the ring.
Heidi
I can't wait to hear the other stories with the kneeling and the proposal(s?)! : ) Loves!
Post a Comment