Thursday, January 22, 2009

Discoveries


We have experienced a slew of firsts, discoveries, if you will, these last few weeks:

Ike has discovered the ever ingenious invention: pockets. And he takes full advantage of their convenience. Lightning McQueen in the right one, Doc, Chick, or Sheriff in the left.  Sometimes, if he is lucky he can fit two in at a time. But getting them out with his cute little fingers is difficult and tedious, so he usually ends up crying for help. 

I discovered a silver matchbox Porsche in the washing machine. A discovery supplied by Ike's aforementioned fascination. I loved it, and know it is just the beginning of many treasures concealed in jean pockets I will find in the years to come.  

Tabby has discovered the words fabulous, delicious, and eye bulbs (contact lenses- it really makes sense if you think about it). And she uses each one as they seem appropriate. Especially fabulous. "Mom, this room looks fabulous. Thanks for cleaning it." Hey, I take appreciation wherever I can get it.

There have been more discoveries, mostly good ones. However, the one we found today wasn't pleasant. Not pleasant at all. 

Today Tabby discovered little girl drama. Maybe better termed as rejection. 

Maybe not rejection necessarily, but hurt feelings nonetheless. Now, kids have hurt her feelings before, but today the drama was all too real. 

She likes to make her own play dates with her preschool friends. I am usually the last to find out, but I usually work it out and Tabby has enjoyed many afternoons playing with various girls from her class. 

I will spare you the lengthy and confusing details of the mess of communications shared between two four-year-old girls, but basically Tabby thought she was going to play with a little girl (who we will call "M") today.  M had asked to play at our home. Fine. Somewhere in the 2 1/2 hours of school M changed her plans to play at another girl's house (we will call girl #2 "B"). 

They didn't invite Tabby.

After school M and B left Tabby in the driveway sobbing and demanding I take her to the B's house without a formal invitation from B or B's mom.

She felt shafted as the two girls skipped to the car and wondered why they didn't want to include her.

My heart broke standing in that deserted driveway. I didn't want Tabby to feel that sadness of wondering why someone wouldn't want to be with her. We remedied the situation as best I could, and after a long discussion, tonight she seems unscathed.  

I guess you could say today I re-discovered how strong my sweet little girl is. 

2 comments:

Tawni Williams said...

OK I honestly think the parent needs more consoling when that happens - at least it was for the first time Jayci got left out- and she is just 2! Well... maybe it's just me.. SO SAD though! Other fun discoveries... Tabby is a tough chica

matt and brynnzie said...

It breaks your heart when you see your little girl turn to you in total devastation. I just wanted to fix it and make it all better.

I love the matchbox car phase, Eston just discovered it as well.

You are a great Mom!!