Tuesday, December 23, 2008

My Favorite Christmas Memory


When I was only 4 or 5, my mom had the generous idea of sponsoring a less fortunate family for Christmas. This included giving them toys as well as a few necessities to get them through the holiday season. Even though we weren't necessarily in a position of excess, she felt it important to give what we could.

So my mom gathered many of our passed over toys, and with water and soap brought new life to them. She took a doll I had most likely long past forgotten, made new clothes, combed her hair and tied her pig tails in brand new ribbons. The minute I saw her I wanted nothing but to keep her. My doll was beautiful again.

When I expressed my hesitation, my mom surprised me with the option to keep the doll. She suggested I think it over on our drive to the shelter. I will never forget that drive; my beautiful doll on my lap, looking out the window and thinking of all the fun I would have with her when we returned home. I had made up my mind on that car ride. I would keep her, and the family would never have to know she even existed. After all , they were getting the other toys we brought with us. They wouldn't need or appreciate my doll like I would.

When we got to the shelter, I am not sure how it happened, but I carried the doll with me. My mom didn't say anything. She didn't prompt or pressure me in any way. The instant I saw the little girl, who, as I remember it, was my age, I could no longer see my joy in keeping my gift. I handed her the doll. And I felt happy.

I don't remember what I received for Christmas that year, but I will always remember the lesson my mother taught me: Give what you can. Especially when it is a sacrifice. And joy will come of it.
 

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Sweet post, Amy. And what a great tribute to your mom. I have tears. =)

Merry Christmas, my dear! Thanks for being so perfect for my brother and taking such good care of my cute niece and nephew! I sure love you!

Audrey said...

What a sweet memory of your mom. I love your posts.